Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Time for a little Musical Therapy


Today let’s talk about music therapy.  Music is something that can trigger memories and emotions and is known to hold many therapeutic qualities, such as helping to calm, promoting wellness, and assisting in expression of emotion.  In relation to Disney therapy, sometimes having the musical triggers are the next best thing to being there!  When I can’t be at Disney, one of my favorite things to do to soothe the “Disney blues” is to listen to music from the parks and resorts.  Over my many trips to the World, I have built up a large collection of CD's that allow me to revisit through the music.  Background tunes from my favorite lands or rides, sounds from the resorts, and parade and fireworks music can transport me to Disney while sitting at my desk, driving in the minivan or cleaning my house.  I also use the music in DVD slide shows I make of our trips, connecting those memories with specific songs.  


Now if you don’t have these CD's, don’t worry, there are other options for getting your Disney music therapy via the internet.  About two years ago, I discovered Live 365, an internet site with independent radio stations broadcasting a wide variety of music.  During a Disney music search, I lucked upon several stations broadcasting music found inside the Disney parks (not just tunes from movies or television shows).  It was then that I became a huge fan of Magical Mouse Radio, Sorcerer Radio, WDW Live radio, and more.  I would highly recommend that everyone take the time to visit these stations and enjoy the sounds of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom.  Not to mention the resorts.  My favorite musical loop on Magical Mouse Radio is the Animal Kingdom Lodge.  It brings back vivid memories of our stays at the Lodge and just makes me want to go “home” again.  


So get your dose of Disney music therapy today, and let the music take you to the most magical place on Earth!  And to those of you who engage in regular Disney music therapy, what song or music loop is the most therapeutic for you?

For those who are interested in the actual practice of music therapy, please visit the American Music Therapy Association website at http://www.musictherapy.org/ or you can find them on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/AMTAInc .

No comments:

Post a Comment