Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Spirit of Thankfulness

If we knew how much the habit of being thankful might do for us, I am sure we would take time out every day to count up a few of our blessings.  When the spirit of thankfulness takes its place in our consciousness, we radiate life from the very center of our being to the world about us. – Author Unknown, “The Secrets to a Soulful Life.”

I was listening to a Disney podcast on my way home from work, as I often do, and was struck by the tone of gratitude that resonated throughout the conversation.  The couple, who had visited Walt Disney World for their honeymoon, mentioned so many times how cast members and others visiting Disney had taken the time to make their trip so magical, and how thankful they were for that.  You could just hear it in their voices.  And it stood out to me in so many ways. 
First, we are in the season of Thanksgiving, so naturally, that came to mind.  Many of us celebrate this holiday with family and friends and many take time during their celebrations to say what they are thankful for.
Second, from a therapeutic standpoint, the simple act of “counting your blessings” can do wonders for someone who is dealing with adversity in their life.  This is not to say that you stop to think about how your situation isn’t that bad, because someone else is worse off than you.  But more to stop and take in all the wonderful parts of your life.  In every life, I believe, there are true blessings.  And the act of focusing on those positive things, the things you are indeed thankful for, can transform your mood, your situation, and the world around you. 
I am thankful for so many things.  I am thankful for my beautiful, kind son who teaches me about life every day.  I am thankful for my husband, who loves me even though I drive him crazy, and who has willingly become a Disney convert.  I am thankful for my wonderful family and friends who support me in all that I do.  I am thankful for my amazing mom, who inspires me and gives me food for thought every time we talk.  I am thankful that I am allowed to do the important work that I do with children and families.  And yes, I am thankful for Disney:  for how blessed I am to travel there so often, for the magic it brings to my life and allows me to be a kid again, and for the amazing friendships I have made because of a mutual love for Disney.
So to all of you, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, and I wish for you a spirit of thankfulness and a heart filled with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment