Well, I'm sitting here at 25 days and counting until being back at Walt Disney World and I've decided, it's time to start tackling the final preparation steps before vacation. In order to stay on track, and to hopefully give you some good ideas for your next vacation, I'm going to share my next few weeks of prep work with you, and of course, follow it up with a trip report. So here goes...
When you're planning a Walt Disney World vacation, especially at a year or more out, it seems like you do all the big stuff, then you just sit and wait. Decide where to stay...check...how many days/nights...check...make that deposit...check...at 180 days, make your dining reservations...check...pay off the balance (at least 45 days in advance)...check. So now you're in the home stretch. What's left to do? Well, that really depends on you and the type of vacationer you are. Are you an over-the-top uber-planner who wants everyone to wear matching clothes on certain days and plans to bring enough snacks to feed a small army? Or are you a throw your clothes in the suitcase the night before and don't worry cause you're on vacation kind of person? Maybe somewhere in between? I personally tend to plan a lot, but I'm never completely packed until the night before. So anyway, here's my starting point for the next 25 days:
- Begin looking at the wardrobe: So for this trip, it will be me, my mom, my son Payton & my nephew, Ari. We are not going to do a bunch of matching shirts, but I would like for us to look like we coordinate just a little bit. So I'm going to start looking at Disney shirts that Payton & I have, as well as look for a few for mom and Ari, and see what kind of combinations I can come up with.
- Make some T-shirt designs for the boys: Now I know the cousins would like some personalized T-shirts for this trip, so I'm going to work on making some iron-on designs for them. There are so many creative Disney fans out there on the web, so do some searches and see what's out there. One of my personal favorite past t's was a tie-dye Mickey head shirt I made for my family a few years ago using a bleach pen. Really easy& affordable, and we got a lot of great comments on the shirts.
- What needs to be ordered?: There are always some things you need for your vacation that you can't just walk into a Wal-Mart to pick up. For example, I am running low on replacement contact lenses. I refuse to go to Disney without a spare pair, so it's time to order more so they'll be ready to pick up well before the trip. Also, if you use specialty products like Avon or Mary Kay, you might want to make those orders now. Any prescription medication you might need? Better refill ahead of time!
- Time for a haircut: Now some people can get into their hairdresser really quickly, but it might be wise to go ahead and make that appointment now to get the hair trimmed up a few days before leaving on vacation. Ladies, if you're like me, maybe make it closer to a week before vacation so you have time to get used to the new do.
- Looking at the details: If you're old-school, like me, you like to have print outs of all of your vacation documents. Airfare, reservations, dining ressies, etc. are all good things to print out and put in a folder to take with you on vacation. Or, if you like using a travel app, such as trip it, maybe it's time to update that, or become more familiar with the application you are wanting to test out.
Well, that's just the first few things on my list. Stay tuned to see what I get accomplished and what gets added to the vacation preparations. Only 25 days....WOO HOO!!!